Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Warm spring garden start! long first post....

This first post outlines my vegetable garden status as of 4/4/12.  Excuse any issues with the post and/or photos; this is my first real attempt at blogging and it's a brand new camera for me:

Here's a shot of my main veggie garden from the carport.  Use the fence as reference for depth, each section is about 12 feet. 

This is the fence line veggie bed from the deck...


and from ground level.  The fence line bed will be cukes and beans this year, cukes growing up wood trellis, probably add one more of same.  I dug a crimson clover cover crop (accidental alliteration!) in about 3 weeks ago.



This is garlic planted in November.  The wood box is made from scrap wood from an old dog house and is an expirement.  I am trying to compare productivity on a contained raised bed to the rest of my in-ground double dug beds.  I am very pleased with this garlic.



First bed closest to carport, planted about 3-4 weeks ago.  Bigger plants are broccoli, doing great.  There was a slug problem and I spread cuttings of an abrasive decorative grass underneath- this worked a charm, no more slugs.  Smaller starts are rainbow swiss chard. 

New rock path, have several of these between raised beds, all rocks are harvested from beds dug.  This is another project I am pleased with.



Red onions, in ground as sets about 5 weeks ago.



This bed is planted in Yukon Gold potatoes, about 2 weeks ago.  I expect a solid 20 pound or more harvest, potatoes thrive here.



Lettuce bed.  The front 1/4 was planted in arugala from Lowe's that did not grow well and had very few seeds in the packet..  Buy seeds from Southern States or Jesse Israel, not Lowe's. 


Closer up of productive part of lettuce bed. It's a heavily planted mix of older seed packets, this worked well.



Overhead of spring variety bed- this is closest to the shed.  All planted about 5 weeks ago.  Peas on trellis, made trellis from scraps and found in woods behind house chain, works great. More red onions under mulch, spinach in front corner actually planted about 7 weeks ago. 
It's a pretty good looking mini-spinach bed, I've had two great salads from thinning it already, also pleased with this. 


These two beds are newly planted strawberry beds.  They are double dug with very heavy store bought compost application.  Each hill should be about 4 plants in the bigger bed and 3 in the smaller.  I expect little production this year but lots next.  Pretty excited about planning long-term projects like this. 

That's it for the first post!  Hope it's not too boring and somewhat meaningful when I look at it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment