Saturday, May 25, 2013

Systems and hubris.

The photos below are of two systems I use to support my garden efforts- rain barrels and composting.  This blog, however,is for me and myself, so I'm going to say a few words to myself about hubris.  One of the things I enjoy most about gardening is the process of it (planning and work are both pleasureable) but I also enjoy the lessons I learn.  If, someday in the future, I'm looking at this blog, I need to remember how quickly humbling a garden can be.  The beds I'm so proud of can sprout a million weed seedlings from my compost that didn't get hot enough (this is happening now, cucumbers and tomatoes are weeds when you don't plan for them and they come up by the dozens.)  The plants that look great one weekend can be destroyed by a pest the next.  Remember these lessons, learn from them, and understand they are part of the growing. 

Anyway...Here's the rain barrels.  Daisy chain of 1/2 of my carport, into a three way junction that goes into all of vegetable gardens via soaker hoses. 



And the compost system...The black plastic commercial composter  is where all kitchen waste goes for about one year, added to the spring compost pile in March.  The large wooden bin is where garden waste, leaves, and most everything else goes.  The wire fence cylinder next to the black plastic composter is where overflow goes- sometimes, I might have something that's compostable but not right for the wooden bin at that time, so it goes in the cylinder.  I turn the wooden bin stuff about once a month most of the year, from March-May 1-2x week to ensure it finishes.  I'm trying to add a second cycle for the fall, using leaves from last year and cover crops (buckwheat) and early garden waste.  We'll see how that works.



No comments:

Post a Comment